Jennifer L. Peel, PhD, MPH is a Professor and Section Head of Epidemiology in the Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences at Colorado State University. Dr. Peel also holds an appointment in the Colorado School of Public Health. Dr. Peel is an environmental epidemiologist with over 17 years of experience evaluating the health effects of air pollution, both ambient air pollution in the U.S. and household air pollution from indoor cookstoves in lower and middle income countries. Her active collaborative research include projects examining the short-term exposures and health impacts experienced during commuting in Fort Collins; impacts of a clean fuel intervention on exposure and health in four countries; cardiovascular and metabolic-related endpoints in relation to exposure to biomass emissions in Honduras; the acute effects of controlled exposure study cookstove emissions. Dr. Peel has worked with the Environmental Protection Agency regarding the criteria ambient air pollutants, is a member of the Health Effects Institute Review Committee, is a reviewer for multiple agencies including the National Institutes of Health, and is an Associate Editor for Environmental Health Perspectives.
Education, Licensure & Certifications
- PhD, Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2003
- MPH, Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 1998
- BS, Molecular and Cell Biology with an Honors Degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 1996
Publications and Presentations
- Clark ML, Heiderscheidt JM, Peel JL. Integrating behavior change theory and measures into health-based cookstove interventions: a proposed epidemiologic research agenda. J Health Commun. 2015;20 Suppl 1:94-7. doi: 10.1080/10810730.2014.989346. PubMed PMID: 25839207; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4387893.
- Pride KR, Peel JL, Robinson BF, Busacker A, Grandpre J, Bisgard KM, Yip FY, Murphy TD. Association of short-term exposure to ground-level ozone and respiratory outpatient clinic visits in a rural location - Sublette County, Wyoming, 2008-2011. Environ Res. 2015 Feb;137:1-7. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2014.10.033. Epub 2014 Dec 4. PubMed PMID: 25483412.
- Oakes MM, Baxter LK, Duvall RM, Madden M, Xie M, Hannigan MP, Peel JL, Pachon JE, Balachandran S, Russell A, Long TC. Int J Environ Res Public Health, 2014; 11: 11727-52. doi: 10.3390/ijerph111111727
- Clark ML, Peel JL. Perspectives in Household Air Pollution Research: Who Will Benefit from Interventions? Current Environmental Health Reports. 2014; 3: 250-257.
- Adar SD, Filigrana PA, Clements N, Peel JL. Ambient coarse particulate matter and human health: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Current Environmental Health Reports. 2014; 3:258-274.
- Clark ML, Reynolds SJ, Hendrikson E, Peel JL. Asthma prevalence and risk factor assessment of an underserved and primarily Latino child population in Colorado. Journal of Environmental Health 2014; 76:8-16.
- Clements N , Jana B. Milford JB , Miller SL, Navidi W, Peel JL, Hannigan MP. Errors in coarse particulate matter mass concentrations and spatiotemporal characteristics when using subtraction estimation methods, Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 2013; 63:12, 1386-1398, DOI:10.1080/10962247.2013.816643.
- Whitesell M, Bachand A, Peel J, Brown M. "Familial, Social, and Individual Factors Contributing to Risk for Adolescent Substance Use." Journal of Addiction 2013, doi.org/10.1155/2013/579310.
- Clements N, Eav J, Xie M, Hannigan MP, Miller SP, Navid W, Peel JL, Schauer J, Shafer M, Milford JB. Concentrations and Source Insights for Trace Elements in Fine and Coarse Particulate Matter in Northeastern Colorado. Atmospheric Environ, 2013; 89: 373-381.
- Clark ML, Peel JL, Balakrishnan K, Balbus J, Breysse P, Chillrud S, Naeher L, Rodes C, Vette A. Household Air Pollution Related to Solid Fuel Use and Health: The Need for Improved Exposure Assessment. Environmental Health Perspectives, 2013 DOI:10.1289/ehp.1206429.
- Kim SY, Sheppard L, Hannigan MP, Dutton SJ, Peel JL, Clark ML, Vedal S. The sensitivity of health effect estimates from time-series studies to fine particulate matter component sampling schedule. J Expo Sci Environ Epidemiol. 2013 Sep-Oct;23(5):481-6. doi: 10.1038/jes.2013.28. Epub 2013 May 15. PubMed PMID: 23673462.
- Clark ML, Bachand AM, Heiderscheidt JM, Yoder SA, Luna B, Volckens J, Koehler KA, Conway S, Reynolds SJ, Peel JL. Impact of a cleaner-burning cookstove intervention on blood pressure in Nicaraguan women. Indoor Air 2013; 23: 105-114.
- Xie, M, Piedrahita, R, Dutton, SJ, Milford, JB, Hemann, JG, Miller, SL, Peel, JL, Kim, SY, Vedal, S, Sheppard, L, Hannigan, MP. Positive matrix factorization of a 32-month series of daily PM2.5 speciation data with incorporation of temperature stratification. Atmospheric Environment, 2013; 65: 11-20.