Dr. Farewell is an assistant professor and the director of the MPH in Population Mental Health & Wellbeing (PMHW) program. Her PhD is in health and behavioral sciences from the University of Colorado. Her research is focused on using mixed-methods to analyze developmental research questions, with a specific focus on maternal mental health (depression, stress, and anxiety) during the perinatal period in global contexts, the investigation of non-pharmaceutical methods that can be targeted and/or mobilized to promote maternal resilience in multi-ethnic and low resourced communities, and promoting mental and physical health among formal and informal caregivers and children in early childhood education settings.
Areas of Expertise
- Maternal stress
- Perinatal mental health
- Mind-body interventions
- Early childhood development
Education, Licensure & Certifications
- PhD, Health and Behavioral Sciences, University of Colorado, 2019
- MPH, Community and Behavioral Health, Tulane University, 2012
- BS, Biology, University of Richmond
- Lorna Grindlay Moore Faculty Launch Award, University of Colorado, 2020
- PMHW 6621 Population Mental Health and Wellbeing Promotion
- PMHW 6990 Practicum
- Lorna G. Moore Faculty Launch Award, Fostering Resilience Among Mothers Early (FRAME). July 2020-June 2021. Role: PI
- The Colorado Health Foundation/Colorado Springs Health Foundation/Buell Foundation. Fostering Resilience in Early Educators (FREE). May 2020-May 2022. Role: CO-PI
- UCHealth Integrative Medicine Center, Perinatal Mental Health and Resilience: Exploring the Role of Mindfulness . March 2020-February 2021. Role: PI
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD), My Baby My Move+: A Community Wellness Intervention. August 2019-July 2021, Role: Co-I
Publications and Presentations
- Farewell, C.V., Melnick, E., & Leiferman, J. (2021). Maternal Mental Health and Early Childhood Development: Exploring critical periods and unique sources of support. Journal of Infant Mental Health.
- Leiferman, J., Farewell, C.V., Jewell, J., Lacy, R., Walls, J., & Paulson, J. (2021). Anxiety Among Fathers During the Prenatal and Postpartum Period: A meta-analysis. Journal of Psychosomatic Obstetrics & Gynecology.
- Farewell, C.V., Thayer, Z., Puma, J., & Morton, S. (2021). Prenatal Stress and Early Childhood Body Mass Index: A Path Analysis Approach. Maternal and Child Health Journal.
- Farewell, C.V., Quinlan, J., Melnick, E., Powers, J., & Puma, J. (2020). Demands and Resources experienced by the Early Childcare Workforce serving High Need Populations. Early Childhood Education Journal.
- Farewell, C.V., Jewell, J., Walls, J., & Leiferman, J. (2020). A Mixed-Methods Pilot Study of Perinatal Risk and Resilience during COVID-19. Journal of Primary Care and Community Health.