Carol is the deputy director for the Center for Health, Work & Environment. In her role she helps set strategic priorities in research, education, and practice to advance the center’s mission of improving worker health, safety, and well-being. With over 15 years of experience in program evaluation, Carol leads the program evaluation activities for the center, working across all center initiatives to develop and use evaluation metrics to improve programs. Her other research interests include the application of dissemination and implementation science methods to the fields of Occupational Safety and Health and Total Worker Health.
Areas of Expertise
- Total Worker Health
- Dissemination & Implementation Science
- Program Evaluation
- Grants Administration
Education, Licensure & Certifications
- PhD, University of Southern California, 2009
- BA, Oklahoma State University, 2000
Publications and Presentations
- Schwatka, NV, Dally, M, Shore, E, Tenney, L, Brown, CE, Scott, GS, Dexter, L, Newman, LS. Small+Safe+Well: Lessons learned from a Total Worker Health® randomized intervention to promote organizational change in small business. BMC Public Health. 2022: 22: 1039.
- Tenney, L, Huebschmann, AG, Brown, CE, Schwatka, NV, Newman, LS. Leveraging an Implementation Science Framework to Measure the Impact of Efforts to Scale Out a Total Worker Health® Intervention to Employers. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022: 19(3): 1372.
- Brown, CE, Dexter, L, Schwatka, NV, Dally, M, Tenney, L, Newman, LS. Total Worker Health® and Small Business Employee Perceptions of Health Climate, Safety Climate, and Well-Being during COVID-19. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021; 18: 9702.
- Tenney, L, Dexter, L, Shapiro, D, Dally, M, Brown, CE, Schwatka, NV, Huebschmann, A, McMillen, J, Newman, LS. Impact of Advising on Total Worker Health Implementation. J Occup Environ Med. 2021; 63(8): 657-664.
- Schwatka, NV, Brown, CE, Tenney, L, Scott, JG, Shore, E, Dally, M, Newman, LS. Evaluation of a Total Worker Health® Leadership Development Program for Small Business. Occup Health Sci. 2021; 5(3): 163-188.
- Brown, CE, Schwatka, N, Dexter, L, Dally, M, Shore, E, Tenney, L, Newman, LS. The Importance of Small Business Safety and Health Climates during COVID-19. J Occup Environ Med. 2021; 63(2): 81-88.
- Brown, CE, Shore, E, Van Dyke, MV, Scott, J, Smith, R. Evaluation of an occupational safety and health training for cannabis cultivation workers. Ann Work Expo Health. 2020; 64(7): 765-769.
- Newbill. S, Wickman, A, Brown, C, Helitzer, D. Hierarchical logic models as a tool to evaluate programmatic initiatives: Practical solutions to identified problems. J Community Med Health Educ. 2017; 7(3), 1-7.