Marian Betz, MD, MPH is trained in emergency medicine and epidemiology, with a research focus on traffic safety and suicide. She is an attending physician at the University of Colorado Hospital, as well as an assistant professor of both emergency medicine, at the CU School of Medicine, and epidemiology, at the Colorado School of Public Health. She completed medical and public health training at Johns Hopkins University.
Dr. Betz was awarded a Paul Beeson K23 award from the National Institute on Aging for her work to develop a tiered assessment system for older drivers. She has served as an invited member of national workgroups to develop guidelines for suicide prevention by emergency providers and currently serves as an elected section councilor for the Injury Control and Emergency Health Services Section of the American Public Health Association. She was the 2014-15 president of the Academy of Geriatric Emergency Medicine (part of the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine).
Education, Licensure & Certifications
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Program, Chief Resident, Emergency Medicine, 2008
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2005
- MPH, Johns Hopkins University, 2004
- BS, Yale University, 1999
Publications and Presentations
- Kelly T, Brandspigel S, Polzer E, Betz ME. Firearm Storage Maps: A Pragmatic Approach to Reduce Firearm Suicide During Times of Risk. Ann Intern Med. 2020 Mar 3;172(5):351-353. PubMed PMID: 31958811
- Runyan CW, Brandspigel S, Barber CW, Betz M, Azrael D, Miller M. Lessons learned in conducting youth suicide prevention research in emergency departments. Inj Prev. 2020 Apr;26(2):159-163. PubMed PMID: 31888975
- Jones VC, Johnson RM, Borkoski C, Rebok GW, Gielen AC, Soderstrom C, Molnar LJ, Pitts SI, DiGuiseppi C, Hill L, Strogatz D, Mielenz TJ, Betz ME, Kelley-Baker T, Eby DW, Li G. Social Support Moderates the Negative Association Between Reduced Driving and Life Satisfaction in Older Adults. J Appl Gerontol. 2019 Nov 6;:733464819884266. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31690172
- Li G, Andrews HF, Chihuri S, Lang BH, Leu CS, Merle DP, Gordon A, Mielenz TJ, Strogatz D, Eby DW, Betz ME, DiGuiseppi C, Jones VC, Molnar LJ, Hill LL. Prevalence of Potentially Inappropriate Medication use in older drivers. BMC Geriatr. 2019 Oct 10;19(1):260. PubMed PMID: 31601189
- Rosen T, Makaroun LK, Conwell Y, Betz M. Violence In Older Adults: Scope, Impact, Challenges, And Strategies For Prevention. Health Aff (Millwood). 2019 Oct;38(10):1630-1637. PubMed PMID: 31589527