Dr. Perng is a nutritional and lifecourse epidemiologist who leverages ‘omics science and causal inference methods to study origins of obesity and metabolic disease in children and adolescents.
Areas of Expertise
- 'omics science
- Causal inference
- Lifecourse approach
- Nutritional epidemiology
Education, Licensure & Certifications
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Perinatal Epidemiology, Harvard Medical School
- PhD, Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 2013
- MPH, Epidemiology, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 2010
- BS, Brain Behavior and Cognitive Science, University of Michigan, 2008
- Colorado School of Public Health Faculty Excellence in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Award 2022
- University of Colorado Denver Chancellor’s Teaching Recognition Award 2020
- Society for Pediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology Rising Star Award 2019
- Steering committee member, COMETs consortium
- EPID 7632 Advanced Epidemiology II
- National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIH/NIDDK) U01DK134981. Understanding the Pathophysiology of Type 2 Diabetes in Navajo youth. December 2022 - November 2027. Role: MPI.
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) ADA-7-22-ICTSPM-08. A multi-‘omics approach to identifying youth and young adults at high risk of early-onset type 2 diabetes. July 2022-June30 2025. Role: PI.
- Colorado Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (CCTSI), KL2-TR002534. Biomarkers and mechanisms of NAFLD and T2D pathogenesis in two adolescent cohorts. February 2020 - January 2023. Role: PI.
- National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Child Health and Development (NIH/NICHD) R01HD096032. A lifecourse approach to women's cardiometabolic and bone health: from fertility to perimenopause. July 2019-April 2024. Role: Subcontract PI.
- National Institutes of Health/National Institute of Child Health and Development (NIH/NICHD) R01HD034568. Pre- and perinatal predictors of childhood obesity. February 2017-January 2023. Role: Subcontract PI.
Publications and Presentations
- Laubach ZM, Holekamp KE, Aris IM, Slopen N, and Perng W. Applications of conceptual models from lifecourse epidemiology in ecology and evolutionary biology. Biology Letters 2022; 18:20220194. PMID: 35855609
- Soria-Contreras DC, Perng W, Rifas-Shiman SL, Hivert MF, Oken E, and Chavarro JE. History of infertility and pregnancy outcomes in Project Viva: a prospective study. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2022; 22(1):549. PMID: 35799124
- Soria-Contreras DC, Oken E, Tellez-Rojo MM, Rifas-Shiman SL, Chavarro JE, and Perng W. History of infertility and long-term weight, body composition, and blood pressure among women in Project Viva. Annals of Epidemiology 2022; 74:43-50. PMID: 35777630
- Goodrich JM, Tang L, Rodriguez-Carmona Y, Meijer JL, Perng W, Watkins D, Meeker JD, Mercado-Garcia A, Cantoral A, Song PX, Tellez-Rojo MM, and Peterson KE. Trimester-specific phthalate exposures in pregnancy are associated with circulating metabolites in children. PLoS One 2022; 17(8):e027294. PMID: 36040907
- Qureshi F, Aris I, Rifas-Shiman SL, Perng W, Oken E, Rich-Edwards J, Cardenas A, Bosquet-Enlow M, Belfort MBB, and Tiemeier H. Associations between cord blood telomere length and adiposity growth from infancy to adolescence. Pediatric Obesity 2022; 312977. PMID: 36085441.